Pairs with Spindrift Cellars Pinot Blanc
makes 30 appetizers
1 fennel bulb, finely diced- save some of the greenery for garnish
2 tablespoons shallots, finely diced
2 oranges, peeled, segmented and diced (could use canned mandarin segments)
1 tablespoon orange zest
4 cups orange juice (can be from frozen juice)
¼ cup white wine
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon fennel seed
¼ cup orange liquor
1. Combine all the ingredients except the liquor in a heavy saucepan.
2. Reduce by 75% or until it measures 2 cups of syrupy liquid.
3. Remove from heat, add orange liquor and taste; if too tart then add some white sugar at this point. This can be made days in advance.
~ Works well as a dipping sauce for shrimp or pork tenderloin.
30 scallops, patted dry
1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 tablespoon butter
30 wheat crackers
1. Using a non-stick skillet and cooking in batches, saute` scallops using 1 teaspoon EVOO and a small amount of butter, until lightly browned on each side, (about 3 minutes total). Undercooking is better than overcooking.
2. Serve immediately, placing on a wheat cracker topped with marmalade & garnish with minced fennel greens.